Likewise seven promises or Saat Vachans, there are also several other important aspects of a Hindu marriage ceremony. called Saat Riti – Seven Rituals, These include:
- The exchange of vows and rings
- The tying of the Mangalsutra, a sacred necklace that symbolizes the couple’s bond
- The lighting of the sacred fire (havan), symbolizes the couple’s commitment to each other and to their families
- The exchange of garlands between the bride and groom
- The seven steps around the fire, also known as the “Saat Pheras,” symbolize the seven promises made by the couple to each other
- The blessings of the elders and the couple’s families
- The distribution of prasad, or holy food, which symbolizes the couple’s first meal as husband and wife
- Sindoor and Mangalsutra, the Sindoor is a red powder applied on the forehead of the bride by the groom, signifies that the bride is married and Mangalsutra is a sacred necklace worn by the bride, symbolizes the bond between the couple.
All of these elements come together to create a beautiful and meaningful ceremony that celebrates the love and commitment of the couple, as well as the support and blessings of their families and community.